Annually thousands of people (over 15,000 in 2022) participate in the North Carolina Fossil Festival in Aurora, N.C. Participation reflects the fact that fossil hunting has become a popular activity for thousands of individuals and families across the region and nation, and the Aurora Fossil Museum has become a mecca for hunters. The museum provides free fossil hunting and STEM-education opportunities for people locally, regionally, and online. In 2022, over 33,000 people visited the Aurora Fossil Museum to Dig the Past with us.
The North Carolina Fossil Festival celebrates the region’s natural history and furthers the museum’s goal of educating the public regarding natural history in an enjoyable and engaging fashion. The 2023 North Carolina Fossil Festival will occur on May 27-28, 2023, and will include wide-ranging free fun-filled activites for families and children to do, including:
- Search for ancient shark teeth, seashells, and fossils in the Aurora Fossil Museum Fossil Park piles delivered from Nutrien Phosphate-Aurora.
- Watch the NC Fossil Festival Parade
- Live music on the North Carolina Fossil Festival stage.
- Over 100 vendors, including fossil, mineral, craft, business, and community organizations.
- Dinosaur show with life-size puppets and exhibits.
- A variety of local and regional food and beverage vendors.
- An adults only Beer Garden called “The Raptor Zone”.
- “Kid’s Zone” with inflatable slides, moon bounce, and other activities.
- Displays and activities by science, natural history, and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) organizations.
- Laser Light Show in the evening and Foam and Slime Parties during the day.
- Support the Aurora Fossil Museum by bidding on a variety of silent auction items.”
The North Carolina Fossil Festival proceeds and sponsorships benefit the 501(c)(3) nonprofit Aurora Fossil Museum Foundation, Inc. (Tax ID: 56-2181393), allowing for public educational and scientific outreach regarding the unique fossil record “right under our feet.”